Hurricane Matthew Diaries Pt. 1

Hurricane Matthew is headed our way. I think I sent it into effect by listening to Butterflies and Hurricanes, sung by Matthew Bellamy, while getting ready on the first day of school. So, I decided it is my responsibility to document it. This is the first time in over ten years that I've been in a real hurricane. Although I am a little scared by the power of the hurricane, I'm also excited. My family and I are going to hunker down in our house by the river and ride it out. It should be exciting. Stay tuned for more- until the wifi goes out!

NOTE: One week left to enter The Blergh's 100th Post Celebratory GIVEAWAY!

Oct. 5- Wednesday 

Today it was announced that all schools in the county would be closed Thursday and Friday due to Hurricane Matthew. Even though most of us already knew thanks to social media, there was a good kind of satisfaction in hearing from someone in charge. After the announcement, classes were more or less a free-for-all, especially last period, where I sat on the floor and drew Chris Wolstenholme instead of taking a geometry test.

After getting home and eating some ice cream(in case the freezer goes out), my mom and I prepped our house for guests. Some friends of ours are evacuating their house, which is close to the beach, and will be staying with us. They're a family of three plus a dog(!) and a cat(!). I don't think there's ever been a cat in our house before. I'm really excited.

Besides cleaning up the guest room, which up until this point had been a psuedo-workout-play-band-sewing room, I moved things off the windowsills and away from the windows and brought some plants in from outside.

My parents, doggo, and I had a pre-hurricane party that night, which consisted of watching Mockingjay Pt. 2 and feasting on what wouldn't keep in the likely event that our refrigerator and freezer lost power. None of us had seen the second Mockingjay before, but I made my dad stop it when I realized that Finnick was about to get mauled. We can save that for another time.

Oct. 6- Thursday morning

I woke up around 6:15 and surfed around on the internet for a few minutes before getting up and having breakfast with my parents. The Weather Channel has been on since 6:30. Jim Cantore is doing live coverage really close to here- like, I've stood where he's standing within the past week. I'm stoked about that. If it wasn't already pretty stormy, I would beg my parents to down drive so we could meet him(that's how nerdy I am. I want to go meet one of my favorite weatherpeople).

After breakfast, my dad and I carried our canoe from the dock out by the river to the side of our house. Pond water from the canoe kept dripping down my legs, but it was raining so I got cleaned off. My parents and I brought things into our house from outside, and then I had to get a shower. Even with the rain sprinkling, pond water is kind of nasty.

Currrently, I'm crouched in my bedroom. The sprinkling rain has evolved into a steady pour, but according to my weather dudes (and my dad) it's just a rain band and not the actual hurricane.

I've just been told that our local produce market is going to be open until one pm, which seems pretty dangerous, but I guess it makes sense because they'll want their produce cleaned out before the big winds. I asked my mom if we could go get smoothies from them, but she just laughed and said, "That's my girl."


Oct. 6- Thursday

We waited too long. By the time we were ready to go, Jim Cantore, like an Entei in Pokemon Crystal, had already left.

The other family has arrived and brought with them their fluffy puppy, to which Earthquake is confused by. They also brought their kitty, who seems content hiding in my bedroom.

I have been relocated to my sister's room(she's away at college), which is upstairs. I'm kind of nervous being upstairs during a hurricane, especially since my sister's room has a wall entirely comprised of windows. It'll be fun, though.

Although it's been cloudy all day, there was a break in the rain for a few hours and a few of us went outside. For the most part, we've been hanging out in the house and cooking.

Baked brie and spicy soup

Baked kale
We had three packs of puff pastry in the freezer that we figured needed to get used before the freezer went out, so my dad made a baked brie while my mom made kale chips(not with the puff pastry). For dessert, we put any combination of apple slices, spices, butterscotch chips, nutella, peanut butter, or chocolate chips in little rectangles of pastry and baked those. I could eat both trays of them. I almost did.

Apple cinnamon mini-crostini
I keep thinking about how lucky we are. We had at least a week's, if not more, notice of the hurricane, so we had plenty of time to get ready. We live in a well-built house and are surrounded by mangroves to buffer winds. We have family and friends together. We're eating like kings. We have so much to be thankful for.

(I think maybe this whole hurricane thing is fun for me because I'm a kid and don't have as many responsibilites as adults, who have to worry about insurance and driving and stuff after the fact. Although my mom is making take an online driving course this week. Blergh.)


Thursday afternoon

It's pretty stormy here, but nothing beyond summer storm level yet. We've just been given a notice that they're shutting off our city's water in half an hour. Time for a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! If you acknowledge my existence, I will do the same to yours.